My Review of Neodymium Magnets With 80 Pounds Pull Force


Types of Magnets

There are 3 main types of magnets: temporary, permanent and electromagnets.
  • Temporary magnets such as iron and iron alloys are easily magnetized but then gradually lose their magnetic field.
  • Permanent magnets are made of either ceramic, alnico or neodymium. Ceramic are strong and work well for most experiments. Alnico are stronger than ceramic and work well for science experiments but are more expensive. Neodymium magnets are the strongest and most expensive of the permanent types.
  • Electromagnets are used when a very strong magnet is necessary. They are used in TVs, computers and motors.

What are Neodymium Magnets?

A neodymium magnet is the most widely used type of rare-earth magnet. It is a permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron and boron. Developed in 1982 by General Motors and Sumitomo Special Metals, neodymium magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnet commercially available. Their greater strength, coupled with smaller and lighter weight magnets has resulted in them replacing a myriad of applications including headphones, MRIs, and electric motors.

New Applications for Neodymium Magnets

The increased strength of Neodymium Magnets has inspired new applications where magnets were not previously used.
  • jewelry clasps
  • children's building sets
  • part of the closing mechanism of sport parachute equipment
  • open magnetic resonance imaging scanners
  • surgically placed ring of magnets implanted to treat GERD

Neodymium Hooks with 80# Magnetic Force

These Neodymium magnet hooks with 80 pound force are heavy enough to hold my daughters magnetic alphabet/dry erase board on the fridge. No other magnet in my house has a prayer of doing this!

My Experience with Neodymium Magnets

Now that I have explained what Neodymium magnets are, let me tell you my experience with using them. I have tried them out on various products in my home. My favorite application thus far is having them hold my wire whisks on my stove hood so I can easily grab them when making gravy, etc. I have tried using them to hold my husbands tools in our well house, and could not find a tool heavy enough to fall off of the magnets.
My 6 year old daughter loves playing with magnets on the refrigerator, and took all of her alphabet letters off the board they go to so she could make words. The board has been a pain, because I had nowhere to hang it out of my way and it is too heavy to hang on a typical magnet. The hook type neodymium magnet solved my dilemma and corresponding frustration by allowing me to hang it on the side of the refrigerator. Now, it is near the letters, yet also out of my way! I am in love with these magnets and can't wait to purchase more. Here is where I purchased mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU8U0LC
When you first open the package, they are stuck together of course. It is a little challenging getting them apart because they are so strong. I found that sliding one sideways off of the stack was the easiest way to get them apart. They are so strong that there is no danger of them falling off of your surface and disappearing like so many cheap, regular magnets tend to do. Since they are so strong and have a warning not to handle more than one at a time, I would recommend keeping them up out of younger children's reach.

Neodymium Magnet Discs with 20# magnetic force

The Neodymium magnet discs have 20# magnetic force and are holding my wire whisks at the stove for easy access.

Potential Hazards

Rare-earth magnets exert greater force than other types. Magnets larger than a few centimeters are strong enough to cause injury if you get pinched between two of them. It is wise to err on the side of caution and only handle one magnet at a time. The package I received did come with a warning to do just that.
The neodymium magnets can cause harm to mechanical and electrical devices, for example erasing floppy disks (who still uses these!) and credit cards, as well as magnetizing watches.
When used with appropriate safety and caution, they are versatile tools that are great to have on hand.

Buyer's Guide to Neodymium Magnets



Comments